IN BERLIN



IN BERLIN

In Berlin
I filled up forms
Applying for political asylum
But my tears flowed non-stop
And I had to stop writing
When told
I could not go back
Maybe for the rest of my life

The white guy at the Human Rights office
Kept quiet for a long time and kept looking at me
Seeing it was very difficult for me
To let go of my beloved country
Then he asked me
To think carefully
And take time
Until I am very sure of myself
Two weeks later
The world stopped turning
Due to Corvid 19

In Sarajevo
Few weeks later
A vacant Malaysian plane
Took us back to my homeland

‘Your PM really loves you’

The officer at the empty Butmir airport counter joked with me
‘Yes, maybe someone knew
I was applying for political asylum in Berlin recently’ I replied
He laughed heartily

While his beautiful blue eyes caressing my face
I joined his laughter

In prayer I touched my forehead to the floor
of the hotel lobby
Used to quarantine us

Oh my God
Maybe that’s why I couldn’t complete
Filling the forms in Berlin

My Allah
Your love
Took me back home
Thank you!

Sarajevo-Kuala Lumpur
March 2020

DI BERLIN

Ketika di Berlin
Aku mengisi borang
Memohon suaka politik

Tapi air mataku bercucuran tak henti-henti
Dan terpaksa berhenti menulis
Bila diberitahu
Aku tak boleh pulang
Mungkin sampai bila-bila

Pegawai kulit putih di pusat Hak Asasi manusia
Terdiam sebentar dan memandangku
Melihat sukarnya aku melepaskan
Kecintaan kepada tanah ini

Lalu dia menyuruhku
berfikir masak-masak
Dan mengambil sedikit masa
Hingga aku benar-benar pasti

Selepas dua minggu
Tiba-tiba dunia
Berhenti berputar
Oleh covid 19

Di Sarajevo
Beberapa minggu kemudian
Sebuah pesawat kosong negara
Membawa kami pulang ke tanah air ini

‘PM negaramu sangat sayang kepada kamu’
Gurau petugas kaunter
Di lapangan terbang Butmir yang lengang
‘Ya, mungkin dia tau aku memohon suaka politik di Berlin baru ini,’ jawap ku
Dia ketawa berdekah-dekah
Sambil mata birunya yang cantik melirik ke mukaku
Aku turut ketawa

Sujud syukurku
Di lobi hotel pusat kuarantin

Astagafirullah!
Patutlah aku tak dapat
Mengisi borang di Berlin hingga lengkap

Allah ku
Kasih Mu
Membawaku pulang
Alhamdullilah!

Sarajevo-Kuala Lumpur
Mach 2020.

NOTE: FRAGMENT OF A LONG POEM IN PUBLICATION TITLED IN EXILE AND OTHER POEMS. COPYWRIGHT RESERVED.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

POEM TRANSLATED INTO TURKISH BY ECER CERAN ERDI

PROF DOMENICO PISANA AND HIS PLANET WOMEN ANTHOLOGY.

POEMS TRANSLATED INTO TURKISH BY BAKI YIGIT.